- Become familiar with the ChalleNGe program and team.
Begun in 1993, the National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program (NGYCP) has graduated over 150,000 young adults and employs thousands of men and women who serve the mission of ChalleNGe and work to give youth a second chance. Although you may have never heard of the NGYCP, chances are you have benefited from the Program. Perhaps the skills and opportunities provided to Program graduates have helped your town keep a teen away from delinquency. Or perhaps your community has been a recipient of some of the Programs’ over 9 million hours of service to community.
Supporting the staff and Cadets are the countless number of mentors, volunteers, parents, siblings, and informal cheerleaders who inspire, motivate, and encourage progress. NGYCP is glad to have you as a part of the ever-growing team. Our mission would be impossible without you.
___ Review the Resources
___ Complete Activities
___ Complete the Module 1 Questions
- Website – National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program Homepage: This website contains a great deal of information useful to you now and in the future. A number of the resources from this page will be included in the training, but please consider bookmarking this page for future reference.
- Information – Mission Statement: “The mission of the National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program is to intervene in and reclaim the lives of at-risk youth to produce program graduates with the values, skills, education and self-discipline necessary to succeed as adults.”
- Facebook: Young people today communicate primarily via social media, and IDYCA sends many important announcements via its Facebook page. As such, to stay connected, we highly recommend creating a Facebook account.
- TASK: If you do not already have one, we strongly suggest creating a Facebook account and begin setting up your profile.
- As you begin your training as a Mentor for the ChalleNGe Program, reflect on the following:
- Thinking big picture, in what ways do you hope to make an impact on your Mentee?
- What about the mentor role seems challenging for you?
- Also, write down any questions you have about the ChalleNGe Program that you want answered within the online training and/or face-to-face training.