Listen to the Audio files below, which discusses the Post-Residential Action Plan for Cadet of the Youth ChalleNGe Program, and then complete the readings and activities that follow.
- Audio: Joseph Padilla
- Audio: Dave Van Patten
- Audio: Thomas Early
- Become familiar with the Post-Residential Action Plan (P-RAP)
The Post-Residential Action Plan (P-RAP) is a tool that supports the process of goal development and action planning for the Residential and Post-Residential Phases. Some programs have their own names for the Post-Residential Action Plan, including the “Cadet Action Plan” (CAP), or “My Action Plan” (MAP).
Regardless of name, the tool provides the roadmap to a Cadet’s success. The written plan, created by each Cadet, provides the Cadet with training in how to set goals and make plans while keeping ownership of their future. In short, the P-RAP is “the link between the ChalleNGe Program and Post-Residential success. The P-RAP servers four functions:
- Helps Cadets identify and obtain more durable placement
- Provide focus for mentoring relationships and guides Mentor responsibilities
- Increase Post-Residential accountability
- Helps Post-Residential staff to monitor placement activities, and work with Cadets in the Post-Residential Phase.
The Mentor should use the P-RAP as a basis for conversations with the Cadet, and use the plan as a guide in helping the Cadet succeed.
___ Review the Resources
___ Complete Activities
___ Complete the Module 9 Training Questions
- Link – Goal Setting Guide: This website provides information about how to set S.M.A.R.T. goals.
- PDF – Printable Goal Setting Guide: Handy, printable S.M.A.R.T. goal-setting guide.
- Practice by setting three S.M.A.R.T. goals for yourself, in regards to your mentoring relationship. Also, be sure to consider the following:
- Outcomes – What is your goal?
- Methods – What are the steps necessary to achieve your goal?
- Barriers – What might keep you from reaching your goal?
- Resources – Who or what will support you in reaching your goal?
- Strategies – What steps you will take to overcome what is keeping you from reaching your goal?