Watch the YouTube video below, entitled “Relationship Building: Overcoming Common Challenges,” and then complete the readings and activities that follow.
- List the three stages of relationship development
- Match times in the ChalleNGe cycle, when stages will most likely occur
- Review various examples of Mentor and Cadet relationship challenges
Like any relationship, there will be challenges. Preparing ahead of time for these challenges will help the long-term success of your partnership. Review the Relationship presentation to the right of your screen to acclimate you to some of the possible scenarios you may encounter.
___ Review the Resources
___ Complete Activities
___ Complete the Module 8 Training Questions
- PDF – Stages of a Mentoring Relationship: This document defines relationship development in three phases – developing rapport and building trust; reaching goals; and closure. Also, gives examples of how you can support and engage with your Cadet in each phase.
- PDF – Tools for Mentoring Adolescents: Building Trust and Attachment with your Mentee: This document defines four phases to relationship development – beginning the relationship, building trust, testing the relationship, and increased independence – while giving strategies on how to be successful in each phase.
- In regards to the Mentor/Mentee relationship, list two expectations that you have of your Mentee.
- In regards to the Mentor/Mentee relationship, list two expectations that you have of yourself.
- In regards to the Mentor/Mentee relationship, list two expectations that you have of your time together with your Mentee.
- Use this list as a start for your conversation with your Mentee regarding expectations. Be sure to make the expectations realistic and achievable.