Mandatory Eligibility Requirements to be a Mentor:
- A resident of the state of Idaho.
- Should be at least 25 years old (some exceptions, former IDYCA graduates must be at least 21 years old).
- Must be of the same gender/sex as the student/applicant.
- Mentor cannot be an immediate relative, either by marriage or bloodline, or someone living in the same household.
- Mentors should live within a reasonable geographic proximity of where the student will return after the graduating the Residential Phase.
- Complete IDYCA Mentor Training offered regionally in Caldwell, Twin Falls, Pocatello, and Post Falls during the third program week, or at the Pierce Campus during the first Mentor Day opportunity. (The Mentor Coordinator will contact all Mentors with training dates and times, as soon as they are scheduled.)
- Willing to commit to 17-1/2 months, for the combined Residential and Post-Residential Phases, making four contacts monthly.
- Able to submit a timely, brief report (online) each month to document the student’s progress.
An in-depth fingerprint background check is required for all adult volunteers working with youth for the Idaho Youth ChalleNGe Academy. Program staff will walk you through this process and work with you to get the required documentation.
If the comprehensive background check reveals the following, you will be notified and asked to withdraw your application.
- A history of arrest or conviction for a sex offense.
- A felony conviction or any alcohol, drug, or substance abuse with the last five years.
- A history of domestic violence (reports, charges, convictions).