Number of Portions: 50
Ingredients for Bars:
- 1/2 c. Margarine or Butter
- 3 c. Brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/3 c. Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 5 large Egg Whites
- 1/2 c. Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 3-3/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 3-3/4 c. Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 c. Peanut Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Corn Syrup
- 1/2 c. Lowfat 1% Milk
Instructions for Bars:
- Cream margarine, brown sugar, peanut butter, and salt in mixer with a paddle attachment for 10 minutes on medium speed.
- Add egg whites, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix on low speed for 1-minute or until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Add half of the dry mixture to batter and mix for 1 minute on low speed. Scrape down the sides of bowl. Add the other half of the dry mixture and mix for 1-minute on low speed, or until smooth.
- For 50 servings, spread 4 lb. 2 oz. (approximately 1 qt. 2 cups) of batter into each half-sheet pan (13″ x 18″ x 1″), which has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake until set and light brown: Conventional oven: 350° F for 25 minutes; Convection oven: 325° F for 20 minutes.
- For 50 servings, cut half-sheet pan 5 x 10 (50 pieces per pan).
- Frost with Peanut Butter Glaze.
Instructions for Glaze:
- Cream powdered sugar and peanut butter in a mixer with a paddle attachment for 5-minutes on medium speed.
- Add corn syrup and lowfat milk and mix for 5-minutes on low speed, until smooth.
- Spread over slightly cooled peanut butter bars.
- Use 3 cups of glaze for each half-sheet pan (13″ x 18″ x 1″).
(Source: USDA “What’s Cooking” – Peanut Butter Bars)