Number of Portions: 50
- 5 lb. + 14 oz. Ground Beef
- 2-1/3 c. Raw Onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1-1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 3 c. + 2 Tbsp. Canned Tomato Paste
- 1 qt. + 2-1/4 c/ Canned Diced Tomatoes, with juice
- 1 qt. + 1 c. Water
- 1/4 c. Chili powder
- 3 Tbsp. Ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Onion powder
- 3-3/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 3-3/4 c. Corn Meal
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 4 large Eggs
- 3-3/4 c. Milk
- 1/2 c. Vegetable Oil
- 1 lb. + 10 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Taco Sauce, optional
- Brown ground beef. Drain. Continue to next step immediately.
- Add onions, granulated garlic, pepper, tomato paste, tomatoes, water, and seasonings. Blend well.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. (Ground beef mixture may be prepared ahead and refrigerated overnight.)
- Pour 5 lbs. 8 oz. (2 qt. 2 cups) mixture into each steam-table pan (12″ x 20″ x 2 ½”). For 50 servings, use 2 pans. Set aside for step 6.
- For cornbread topping:
- Blend flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixer for one-minute, on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, and oil.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Blend 2-3 minutes on medium speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
- Pour 2 lbs. 5 oz. (1 qt. ½ cup) batter over the meat mixture in each pan, and spread into corners of pan.
- Bake: Conventional oven: 400° F for 30-35 minutes; Convection oven: 350° F for 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle 13 oz. (3-¼ cups) cheese over cornbread in each pan.
- Cut each pan 5 x 5 (25 portions per pan).
- If desired, serve with taco sauce.
(Source: USDA “What’s Cooking” – Beef Tamale Pie)